Instant Pot Beans and Rice
This Instant Pot Black Beans and Brown Rice using canned beans is a quick weekday staple made with pantry ingredients. Easily doubled to make meal prep a breeze!
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups water veggie broth could also be used
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup taco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Place the cover on the Instant pot & be sure the steam release valve is closed
Select Manual Pressure and cook for 22 minutes
After the Instant Pot has finished cooking, let sit (natural release) for 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes have passed, Quick Release by turning the valve to Venting and open the lid.
Stir to combine ingredients evenly, serve warm, and top with desired toppings!
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days
Recipe Variations & Toppings
The topping options are endless! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Different type of canned beans - I also tried red beans and they worked great!
- White vs. Brown rice - note that the cooking time would need to be adjusted significantly.
- Salsa vs. Tomato & Taco Sauce - If you prefer a chunkier version, your favorite type of salsa would be perfect! Try 3/4 of a cup.
- Peppers & Onions - easily use the "Saute" feature on the Instant Pot to use up leftover veggies
- Replacing the water with vegetable broth
- Use this as the base of a burrito bowl!
This recipe makes 2 large portions for a main dish or 4 smaller portions for a side dish.
- Extra lime juice
- Hot sauce